View Single Post
  #5   IP: 162.245.50.230
Old 01-05-2022, 09:51 AM
Afourian MVP, Professor Emeritus

Thanked 1,298 Times in 844 Posts
Mark, if you are really close to the limit of your power perhaps AGM's will do the trick. For the same amp hours you get about 20~30% more available power. They will also require a bit of tweaking to the charging system however without the fire danger.

I have a new Duramax Colorado and it has a so called AGM smart charging system In the first 2 weeks I had my meter out a lot and took it to the shop twice to check the system because as I cruised around and checked the gages I would see only 12V's and at others I would see 14+ as it should be. Drove me nuts!!! Well the "system" looks at voltage and engine "driving" loads at the same time. So while driving under load up hill the alt cuts back to 12v's to aid in fuel economy and when heading back down the hill and there is little load on the engine the alt kicks in at full charge. Watching the volts go up and down is something I am not used to at all however it is just the "system" taking advantage of the additional discharging capacity of the AGM's. Sometimes I shut down at 12v's and others at 14+v's. It really does a nice job!!!! This system uses the advantages of the AGM whereas the LA batteries are constantly maintained at voltage and little of the "capacity" is actually used.

Another consideration is the Li also operates at an even higher voltage and charges even higher (at times) and some sensitive instruments the voltage is at the limit. I have heard of frying some electronics when not being very careful.

Dave Neptune
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dave Neptune For This Useful Post:
msmith10 (01-06-2022), Surcouf (01-05-2022)