Thread: Rebuild or no?
View Single Post
  #14   IP: 172.58.175.194
Old 01-03-2022, 12:46 PM

Scratchee,

Yes I do hear a loud ticking from the front cylinder, that is also what clued me into something not functioning right. I then looked and saw that the spark plug looked completely unused compared to the rest, despite them all having been replaced at the same time. The sea foam treatment you suggested is what helped bring the compression up in the rest of the cylinders and get the troublesome one to be blowing a little. My suspicion is that the valve is now opening a very small amount, here is why. Previously (before the sea foam treatment) I felt no air being blown out of the #1 cylinder whatsoever, and a compression check confirmed that. Also when I would fill the cylinder with either MMO or sea foam or penatrating oil, all would pool up when the exhaust valve was supposed to be open. Now however, after the sea foam treatment, I can deal some air being blown out the spark plug hole when cranking. Despite being able to feel it it seems to be not enough to read on the compression tester, also no liquid will pool up when the exhaust valve is supposed to be in the open position. However I cannot feel with the penatrating oil straw, that the valve opens fully. I will run more sea foam through it once I am back at the boat this weekend.