• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • joe_db
    Afourian MVP
    • May 2009

Originally posted by sastanley View Post
    The weather was so nice yesterday (actually better today), but yesterday I thought about this thread, and went to the boat and did some fiddling with my choke to make sure it closes all the way. It is still hard to start when it's been sitting for several weeks like yesterday, but my lighted mirror shows me the choke is closed. When we use the boat regularly, she normally starts up in seconds. Good exercise anyway.
    I think we'll get a sail in today, yesterday was too busy. I have a prime button for my fuel pump, if the boat has been sitting I can hit the button and run the pressure up before I hit the start button. The mechanical pumps have a primer as well IIRC.
    Hope everyone had a Merry Christmas!
    Joe Della Barba
    Coquina
    C&C 35 MK I
    Maryland USA

Comment

• sastanley
      Afourian MVP
      • Sep 2008

Joe, hope you made it sailing. I tinkered on the boat today, which was good enough for me on our 60°F day. The mech fuel pump for sure has a primer bale..I always massage it to 4+ PSI before I start it. Maybe it is just air showing on the gauge. I have learned to close the Raw Water until it starts, and no ill effects.
      -Shawn
      "Holiday" - '89 Alura 35 #109
      "Twice Around" - '77 C-30, #511 with original A-4 & MMI manifold - SOLD! (no longer a two boat owner!!)
      sigpic

Comment

• joe_db
        Afourian MVP
        • May 2009

Bad luck yesterday
        After getting the hose out to clean up after a mass bird attack, the wind died. Then I went home and wind came back

Here is a photo of the offending part:
        Attached Files
        Last edited by joe_db; 12-27-2021, 10:43 AM.
        Joe Della Barba
        Coquina
        C&C 35 MK I
        Maryland USA

Comment

• JOHN COOKSON
          Afourian MVP, Professor Emeritus
          • Nov 2008

SIDE NOTE TO SHAWN

It is still hard to start when it's been sitting for several weeks like yesterday, but my lighted mirror shows me the choke is closed. When we use the boat regularly, she normally starts up in seconds.
          If you have points....
          Sometimes points don't conduct well after being unused for awhile. "Just for fun" try passing a points file between the points contacts to see if it helps the reluctant starts.

ex TRUE GRIT

Comment

• joe_db
            Afourian MVP
            • May 2009

Also note - if the wire from the coil to the distributor starts going bad, the engine will get progressively harder to start when cold. That wire effects all 4 plugs, not just one. It also gets 4 times the use of the other ones. Just for fun swap it out before a cold start.
            Joe Della Barba
            Coquina
            C&C 35 MK I
            Maryland USA

Comment

• sastanley
              Afourian MVP
              • Sep 2008

John & Joe..thanks..excellent advice.

I have the 1149-A electronic ignition.

I had a custom plug wire ordered at the local NAPA several years ago when I moved the coil off the motor onto an adjacent bulkhead and needed a few more inches...

Maybe the wire is faulty or my ignition circuity needs a checkup? It does eventually run. If either of these are an issue, I will report back for the benefit of other forum members!
              -Shawn
              "Holiday" - '89 Alura 35 #109
              "Twice Around" - '77 C-30, #511 with original A-4 & MMI manifold - SOLD! (no longer a two boat owner!!)
              sigpic

Comment

• joe_db
                Afourian MVP
                • May 2009

John & Joe..thanks..excellent advice.

I have the 1149-A electronic ignition.

I had a custom plug wire ordered at the local NAPA several years ago when I moved the coil off the motor onto an adjacent bulkhead and needed a few more inches...

Maybe the wire is faulty or my ignition circuity needs a checkup? It does eventually run. If either of these are an issue, I will report back for the benefit of other forum members!
                When I had electronic ignition it seemed to really chew up the coil wire. It was insidious too, it wouldn't just die, just keep getting harder to start. My theory is since no cars have used spark plug wires in ages, no first-tier manufacturer makes them anymore. Maybe Moyer and Indigo have a line on the best of the bunch? Anyway, for troubleshooting you don't even need a spark plug wire, any old piece of wire will do with some creative stripping on the ends to cram into the coil and cap. Do NOT touch while running though, that thin rubber is not good to 40,000 volts
                Joe Della Barba
                Coquina
                C&C 35 MK I
                Maryland USA

Comment

• JOHN COOKSON
                  Afourian MVP, Professor Emeritus
                  • Nov 2008

Were you using graphite core or solid core high voltage wires that failed over time? Copper core should last indefinitely where as graphite core spark plug wires will fail over time.
                  IMO graphite core wires don't belong on a boat.

ex TRUE GRIT

Comment

• joe_db
                    Afourian MVP
                    • May 2009

Originally posted by JOHN COOKSON View Post
                    Were you using graphite core or solid core high voltage wires that failed over time? Copper core should last indefinitely where as graphite core spark plug wires will fail over time.

ex TRUE GRIT
                    I am pretty sure all the wires I have or had are graphite core. Were do you even get copper-core wires now?
                    Joe Della Barba
                    Coquina
                    C&C 35 MK I
                    Maryland USA

Comment

• ndutton
                      Afourian MVP
                      • May 2009

Originally posted by JOHN COOKSON View Post
                      Three responses:
                      • I've never had anything BUT graphite core wires and never a problem. Never.
                      • MMI's plug wires are graphite core.
                      • If going to solid core plug wires expect to deal with massive Radio Frequency Interference.
                      Neil
                      1977 Catalina 30
                      San Pedro, California
                      prior boats 1987 Westsail 32, 1970 Catalina 22
                      Had my hands in a few others

Comment

• joe_db
                        Afourian MVP
                        • May 2009

Torture Test: I started the engine a few days ago after a nice long cold-soak. I won't say it fired right up, but it did get going with no ether or other shenanigans, so the proper choke does the job
                        Joe Della Barba
                        Coquina
                        C&C 35 MK I
                        Maryland USA

Comment

Working...
                        X