Thread: No Neutral?
View Single Post
  #20   IP: 76.179.119.203
Old 05-09-2017, 11:11 AM
Afourian MVP, Professor Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by sallyjane823 View Post
So true, thank you again. I have adjusted the forward gear and it really is a simple thing. I am now working on electronics and properly wiring the battery bank, and have been told to find the grounding core or bonding of the boat? Haven't found that yet, but noticed a green wire in the engine compartment; is it possible that electrical is grounded to the engine?
Nice work!

Almost by definition, electrical systems are grounded to the engine block. For the Atomic 4, the ground wire from the engine back to the starting battery or ground bus should at least match the size of the positive or red wire going to the starter motor. The alternator, water temp and oil pressure gauges use the engine ground as well.

Beyond that, grounding can be done a number of ways depending on your requirements, but on smaller boats it's usually a ground bus bar somewhere, hopefully not a bunch of wires dangling off the battery negative terminal.

You may be interested in the Nigel Calder book - Boat Owners Mechanical and Electrical Manual. This is an excellent reference to boat electrical systems and design - it's available by Kindle as well, although I prefer the hardcopy.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0147TM944...ng=UTF8&btkr=1

S/V Bunny Planet
1971 Bristol 29 #169