View Single Post
  #12   IP: 98.155.50.7
Old 02-19-2021, 08:50 PM
Afourian MVP

Your pic looks to be the block and not the head, but that looks to me like a threaded hole with "gunk" at the bottom.

Regarding the head, if you have new style engine, Universal reduced the number of cooling passage from the earlier block. If you look overlay the gasket on head, you will see some passages in the gasket are not machined through. Evidently, the were not needed or removing possibly improved the flow through the head.

With all the years of either raw water or coolant, it will corrode the head a bit and could look like a nasty broken off stud, but it it's not one of the 17 head stud holes and has a the gasket hole matches to coolant port on the block, but not the head... that's normal.

I almost drilled mine out, but found the post from IloveRust (Bill's) build where he drill them out... and was congratulated for likely having he first new style head with old style coolant ports.

Now if your engine is an old style, the head should have a port or hole every place where the gasket does.

Last edited by ronstory; 02-19-2021 at 08:53 PM. Reason: clarification