View Single Post
  #1   IP: 76.72.128.131
Old 08-13-2014, 07:40 AM

How to pressure or leak test water jacketed exhaust

Hi All,

Getting ever closer to starting this engine up for the first time in over 20 years.
I knew there was a breach in the short hot section of exhaust immediately aft of the manifold flange, and the copper water jacketed exhaust, while it looked OK, certainly needed close inspection and testing.
The first task was to see if I could even get the thing out of the boat in tact.
Success.
Attached are some photos.
I'll need a new exhaust flange for sure.
Whether I reuse this copper water jacketed system or refit with a water lift type unit will depend on the health of the copper water jacketed system.
From what I've read this type of system is very good and provides for minimum back pressure and very limited opportunity to water to syphon back into the engine. If I can reuse it I would like to.
My questions are, how do I effectively leak test and or pressure test the system?
Don mentioned somewhere about holding 20-30 psi in the water jacket for an hour or two. Someone else mentioned not pressure testing more than a few psi if at all and to leak test instead.
What is the best procedure?
Also, the copper I can see (obviously not the inside) all looks really fine except for maybe a bit of evidence of a leak (minor green corrosion) on the end cap at the aft end. Could JB Weld or MarineTex be a reasonable patch for this if there is a leak?
Thanks for the help.
Also
Attached Images