View Single Post
  #56   IP: 209.151.133.158
Old 11-04-2013, 06:19 PM
Afourian MVP

Good news, bad news

Hi Gents:

Ok. compression tests complete, first on the manifold, then on the block, and both seemed to hold 20 psi for 15 mins or so. (i stopped test then since no loss of pressure).

I thought there would be some measurement error since hooking up the test is a trial in itself with right set of valves, bike pumps, etc. (for the 5/8 manifold hose plug, i used a wine cork - no sacrifice is too great for the A4 so i was forced to drink the bottle). All held together fine. i even dunked bike valve in water to makes sure no bubbles.

Here is photo of contraption:

Name:  compression test.jpg
Views: 1692
Size:  66.9 KB

So good news, it looks like manifold and block are sound? Bad news, so now what?

1) as mentioned, water pump is brand new MMI with only a few hours
2) possible that the little steel plug that Don mentioned is the culprit, but wouldn't pressure test have caught that?
3) exhaust was rebuilt last winter, and water exhaust goes above waterline with mmi a/s valve at apex
4) dont think i had any hard starts this year -- maybe a few where i had to fire for 5 seconds 3 times -- and raw water was open. is that excessive?

As mentioned, water intrusion wasn't too bad, because level was only a tad high on dip stick. but milkshake oil all the same.

thanks for any next ideas
A4 #204381, 1980