View Single Post
  #1   IP: 69.116.139.83
Old 01-30-2021, 05:46 PM

Oil leak while winterized

Hi All,

So I noticed oil in my bilge of my catalina 30 last weekend. Checked the dipstick and the oil level was just at the Low mark. I placed cardboard underneath to try to pinpoint where the leak is coming from. Checked it out today (1 week later) and there was a drip from the center bottom back edge of the oil pan (the lowest spot where it starts to angle up going astern). The oil on the dipstick was now 1/32" lower on the dipstick. I'd guesstimate the oil that dripped on the cardboard to be 1/8 of a quart but IDK.

Being that I winterized her 3 months ago (I live in CT), I figured the only placed oil could be dripping from is the oil pan (rusted through maybe? There is some scaling on the bottom that I pulled off). The only thing I have done since winterizing is remove the water pump for a rebuild, and the pump is still off. I did not think that oil can be leaking from where the water pump mounts as the engine has not ran and the oil level (should) be lower than that I'd imagine.

I've ordered a telescoping camera off amazon so I'll try to peek under the pan once that comes in.

IF it happens to be the pan, I'd imagine hoisting it straight up and changing the pan mid-air is technically possible with the mid-ship placement in the c-30?

Would love to hear everyone's thoughts as I'm stumped since the engine hasn't been run in months.

Thanks So much
Attached Images