View Single Post
  #18   IP: 24.114.255.19
Old 08-18-2008, 02:30 PM
Frequent Contributor

Can no sputter engine failure still be fuel side problem?

I bought a 77 Catalina with . Previous owner says he only had one engine failure since A4 was rebuilt 4 years ago. The ran fine for sea trial. And I crossed Lake Ontario with it in June when we motored for at least four hours. Since then, I have used it problem free for at least two periods longer than two hours. Two weeks ago, after start fine and running fine at about 10,000 rpm, the engine failed (like I shut it down) after I throttled up to 20,000 rpm. It would then start and shutdown almost right away with no sputter. Then it would not start. Sounded like an electrical issue but engine started and ran great after I changed plugs, inline filter and emptied bowl of my manual fuel pump. It started and ran great in my slip. I ran it in and out of gear for 30 minutes at least three time. Then I went out and all was well until I throttled up to 20,000 rpm. Some dockmates tell me it is probably the coil. But why would problem go away for a short period after fuel side adjustments? Others tell me it is water in the tank. But why no sputter? Suggestions?