View Single Post
  #3   IP: 165.201.169.125
Old 05-11-2005, 02:47 PM
Frequent Contributor

Water in the Oil

I've changed the oil several times, moved the anti-siphon higher. AFter running the motor for 1/2 an hour to get home, water was in. To check that water hadn't siphoned in while sailing, I ran it 10 minutes in the slip and the oil level raised 1/4". Condensation and water down the tube ruled out. Oberdorfer pump and I can see the shaft in a 1/2" slot islolating it from the engine, I believe.

I'll check the hole behind the valves.

Everyone claims that the catalina 30 has a problem with the water coming in thru the exhaust. I don't know whether that can occur backing up thru the exhaust when the exhast is pushing water out of the thru hole. I'm sure water is coming in then, not just by cranking the engine without a start for too long.

I will check the exhaust manifold for integrity, and if no problem, see if I can pressure check the water side to check the block. The local expert says he has only seen two cracked blocked and both times the freeze plugs were blown. He also said he has seen many with the freeze plugs blown with no permanent damage. I checked with the previous owner and she reports no freeze plugs blown since a known time of no water in the oil.