View Single Post
  #44   IP: 207.219.69.197
Old 10-28-2013, 07:45 PM
Afourian MVP

Unhappy Water in Oil: it's baaack

ah crud!

i had a "water in oil" episode in spring, but i thought it was fixed. appears not.

Replaced water pump in spring with new MMI on advice of mechanic who said that was source of water. First oil change a few hours into operation this year was clear of water. phew, i thought.

Just did winterize oil change today -- and the milkshake is back. i pulled dip stick before change. i'd say it was a bit above normal, but not much. so not like water is gushing in. i would have about 6-8 hours since last change (main use is just getting out of dock).

Engine ran fine this summer particularly after warm up. Oil pressure normal at 30-40. Compression checked out at about 100 in all cylinders in the spring. Redid exhaust in spring with water exhaust loop above waterline with a/s valve. and new MMI water pump as mentioned.

I tried to be careful not to do much cranking with raw water valve open.

So now what?

1) from prior posts, seems like manifold pressure test is most recommended?
2) Then progress to block? is there a test to isolate head from block? Likely head could be replaced on boat if that is culprit -- but block means big ordeal.

Hoping i just had on unlucky socks - and all will be fine next time -- but i doubt it. definition of bad day -- but i am reminded this is a "first world problem."

thanks for all advice as usual
A4 #204381, 1980