View Single Post
  #24   IP: 69.250.44.209
Old 01-05-2013, 05:19 PM
Afourian MVP

Water in Oil

Last (and only) oil change of the year, made while winterizing, oil was milkshake colored. Was puzzled, but thought it might be what MMO does to oil. Wrong!! I just read in A4 manual that i had water in oil.

I am away from boat for a few weeks (that is on the hard in Toronto) so trying to get my imagination settled down before i return for various tests.

A bit of background:

1) A4 ran just fine all season at idle and higher RPMs. Low engine time. Mainly just used to get out of mooring a few hundred yards before open water in Lake Ontario.
2) Oil pressure was never great -- usually around 25 at low cruise according to cockpit gauge. Had planned to adjust in spring.
3) I went brain dead early in season and tried to start engine with fuel shut-off shut to off (geez)-- and starter was engaged on and off for maybe a minute before i engaged brain, and then engine started right up. Could that be how water got in?
4) Otherwise, did a rebuilt exhaust prior winter with help of PO -- and maybe didn't have sufficient upward lift in exhaust after manifold? or hand-made piece where cooling water output enters exhaust is too restricted or not low enough relative to manifold?
5) Prior oil change during prior winterizing showed proper "black" oil color.

When i return to boat, i plan to change oil 3 times as Don suggests earlier in this thread, and see what i see. I just dread the bad stuff like cracked block, failed head gasket, etc. A4 is in C&C27 and it's way tight down there.

Any advice on tests to perform or possible causes? Feeling ill that there could be a time consuming and expensive road ahead.

thanks

Last edited by Whippet; 01-05-2013 at 05:25 PM.