View Single Post
  #1   IP: 24.84.180.40
Old 09-12-2020, 03:17 PM

Dead electronic igniton?

HI all,

My engine had a really hard time starting or didn’t start, depending on the day over the past couple of weeks. Quick troubleshooting revealed no sparks at the coil.
It is worth noting that my A4 has an Indigo AT4 electronic ignition.

I checked the coil and even replaced it with my spare one. Still no spark. I measure resistances on both coils, they are ok (10kohm / 3.5 ohm). I removed all wires from the coil except the ignition, and when I connect the (-) of the coil to my ground, I get a spark. The coils are fine then I believe.

The issue then seems to be in the electronic ignition, rotor, or cap. I reconnected the electronic ignition to the coil and ground (and kept everything else disconnected as per my coil testing).
Following the electronic ignition manual, I disconnected the Molex plug tapped a screwdriver between the silver and white wires to get a spark, but no spark still. This should trigger a spark.

I removed the electronic ignition wires from the coil and retested it as above. I could still get a spark. I did that multiple times, to make sure my testing procedure was correct but at some points, I got sparks when tapping a screwdriver between the silver and white wires of the electronic ignition.
I bet there was a short, and I must have fixed it, by chance.

I came back to the boat yesterday and again, it didn’t start. Again, I couldn’t get a spark connecting the silver and white wires of the electronic ignition. I tested all wires of the electronic ignition, they all have very low resistance.
At some point, when I put the ignition on with the electronic ignition wired, I got constant big sparks, without touching the silver and white wires of the electronic ignition. Then sparks stopped, and I couldn’t get sparks anymore. I cut the silver and white wires off the Molex plug and connected them together. Still no sparks.

So, my electronic ignition is dead? Or am I missing something?