View Single Post
  #5   IP: 131.162.64.58
Old 05-29-2020, 05:07 PM
Afourian MVP

Harlequin,

You mention wanting to pinpoint the cause to get your confidence back. I think you will also save a lot of time and $ if you pinpoint the cause as opposed to just trying things and hoping that was the problem.

May I suggest a that fuel pressure gauge is in order? It will tell you explicitly if there is a fuel delivery issue. The cost is low, they are easy to install and they are endlessly useful. I initially installed one because I suspected a fuel problem and sure enough that was the issue. In fact, I had my problem and was going to post a query to the forum and realized that the first question I would get is "Do you have a fuel pressure gauge?" So I installed one and was able to diagnose the problem myself - dirty fuel tank was my ultimate conclusion.

I reached this by verifying that:

1) Fuel pressure was good and engine ran fine when run off an auxiliary tank
2) Things got dodgy when I introduces my filter between the aux tank and the engine.
3) Examination of the filter revealed it was full of crap
4) Crap must have come from the tank.
5) Removed and cleaned tank - all well since then.

I have since had stalls and it was once again fuel pressure - I forget sometimes to open the fuel shut-off valve...

Careful diagnosis is the key to having confidence in your engine AND your ability to trouble shoot issue when underway.

Best,

Peter
The Following User Says Thank You to Peter For This Useful Post:
SeaHarlequin (06-01-2020)