View Single Post
  #10   IP: 71.179.24.20
Old 01-25-2008, 07:31 AM

The engine will never get up to operating temp. with out load on it. Even with a load it will take 45 min-1hr. to be fully warmed up. The cooling side will warm (temp gauge will come up) up but the oil and the lower half will not. By running the engine for only a few minutes at the dock moisture is allowed to enter the crank case. Because it never gets hot enough to cook out the moisture it will condense inside the block. Moisture on the inside on an engine is never a good thing.

I once had an air cooled Ducati Motorcyle with a sight glass to check the oil level. after a week or so of short hops around town the sight glass woudl start to get milky. The oil was fine but there was moisture on the inside of the glass. If on the other hand I ran the engine for 1 hr. or more it would clear right up.

Drawing in cool and damp winter cabin air into the crankcase must be worse than the air my Duc sucked in.

there are other reason as well such as carbon build up on the pistons /valves
ect. but the oil would my issue.

you would be better off installing a block heater with a timer on it but like you say VA isn't too bad.

Mike