View Single Post
  #1   IP: 65.206.71.3
Old 11-21-2011, 01:00 PM
Frequent Contributor

Sludge found in Bilge & under oil pan

Hi Everyone,

About half way through the season, I noticed oil sludge in the bilge of my Pearson 28. I determined it was coming from the engine, but couldn't find the leak. I checked the oil level repeatedly through the season and it seemed to hold fairly constant, although I'll concede that quantifying it with the dip is not a perfect science.

Anyway, during winter commissioning I reached under the oil pan and felt a sludge. It was partly oil...partly seawater goo from the packing (I think).

I pumped out the oil using a drill pump and a newly installed Moyer oil change kit (thanks MM!). The total contents of oil removed was (1) 2-liter bottle.

So, is my oil pan corroded through? Could it be coming from the shaft seal? Maybe I overfilled the oil last season? Is this an A4 life ender? How can I check for leak source given the way the mounting and flywheel block all reasonable views of the pan?

I basically need a knowledgable person to recommend a next step for me so I can continue to efficiently troubleshoot over the winter.

Thanks!
1977 Pearson 28