View Single Post
  #10   IP: 184.100.34.77
Old 05-22-2023, 10:37 PM
Frequent Contributor

Thanks Mark for the Paragon manual!

I was using it today to try to move the Reduction Gear and the Gear Case Assembly from my old A4 to my newer A4.

After seeing the photo of these two assemblies, still joined together, for sale in the Moyer Marine online catalog, I was hoping I could get them out without removing the reverse gear housing (67). But my actual parts don't quite match the parts shown in the manual. In order to get the yoke (79) out of the way, to be able to slide the gear case assembly (the big cylindrical assembly that resides inside the reverse band assembly, which is inside the reverse gear housing) out the back of the engine, the cross shaft (78, the shaft that goes through the back of the reverse gear housing, to which the external shift lever attaches) needs to come out. But there are some woodruff keys on the underside of the cross shaft that don't seem to be accessible. The Paragon manual shows the cross shaft as being two separate pieces, but in both of my motors the cross shaft is one piece.

I hesitate to remove the reverse gear housing because it seems like more opportunity for things to go wrong and leaks to be created when I put them back together.

Can anyone summarize the steps needed to remove the reduction gear and gear case assembly out of my old A4?

Thanks,

Craig