View Single Post
  #2   IP: 72.139.201.237
Old 05-20-2023, 09:53 PM
Frequent Contributor

I don't have any experience in moving the reduction gear or even know much about it, but it sounds like a lot of work that I would be trying VERY hard to avoid at all costs.

Is your current engine up to date on all maintenance, upgrades, etc? I had low compression in mine as well - actually quite similar numbers to yours - in a dry test, and I need to do a wet test as well.

But that alone isn't a terminal condition or reason to ditch the engine, since the A4 is known for having lower compression numbers, and it depends alot on the tests you are performing as well.

Carb cleaned, serviced and adjusted as per the Moyer manual? Fuel supply/filters inspected/changed, is there any possibility of water in the fuel system? What do your plugs look like, wet, dry, sooty, fouled? Hints from other parts of the engine subsystems that might indicate there is trouble?

I would want to rule out ALL the possibilities with the current engine before looking at an engine swap. I'm sure others will chime in and offer assistance on the issues you may be facing.

Spring startup is always a tricky time (assuming you don't use it all year) it took me many hours of maintenance work and troubleshooting to get everything sorted out and up to snuff, and it didn't start out that way - once I got the engine running it quit a short time later, even after opening the raw water pump (turned out to be rich condition on carb and improper idle adjustment) but sent me down a few rabbit holes trying to figure it out.

Thought it was a clogged fuel vent line, nope, and that takes a long time to manifest (apparently 15-20 min), thought it was a coil problem, thought the carb had water in it, etc etc. Turned out to not be anything complicated and I was happy to run the engine in gear at the dock for 30 minutes to give some level of comfort that it was ready to leave the dock and find the next gremlin during a sea trial when we can really put it to the test.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tworail For This Useful Post:
Easy Rider (05-20-2023), W2ET (05-21-2023)