View Single Post
  #19   IP: 96.42.74.179
Old 06-10-2014, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Neptune View Post
Slick, make sure the copper line ~~the scavange tube~~ is clear!! It's purpose is to "suck" (via vacuum) any dribbling or puddling fuel in the throat of the carb back into the manifold, a very important SAFETY feature.

Dave Neptune
Will do, Dave. I disconnected the end of it that connects to the bottom of the carb, and will check it for flow next time I'm on the boat. I have a can of compressed air that I'll use to clean it out(once the fuel is out, of course.).

This is probably not the only culprit, but I found this when I removed the flame arrestor today.

I was able to source a new one at a local marine parts store. I also replaced all fuel lines and the glass in-line filter with a metal one.

I brought the carb home with me, and will open that up tomorrow. The old-timer who sold me the gasket told me that the reason the fuel leaked is because either the float valve stuck, or the choke doesn't close all the way.

Since the mechanic replaced the carb kit last summer, do you think I can get away with re-using the gaskets? Or should I purchase new ones just in case?
1977 Ericson 29' hull #527
Lake Pepin Marina
Lake City, MN

Last edited by Minnesota_Slick; 06-10-2014 at 07:24 PM.