View Single Post
  #35   IP: 24.152.131.220
Old 09-24-2011, 10:34 AM
Afourian MVP

Thanked 2,206 Times in 1,423 Posts
Yeah Shawn, had we simply followed Don's treatment we could have saved a lot of grief.

Which brings me to my Pertronix gripe - not their product but actually their customer support.

Problem 1
You and I independently approached them with your recent coil overheat and failure. I actually cut and pasted your data set and sent it to them as if it were my own. Their responses were from different techs/engineers and were completely different from each other!! This did not instill confidence that they had any idea what was going on.

Problem 2
They specify a 4 amp maximum system current with their Ignitor electronic ignition product. They recommend their 3 ohm Flamethrower coil for this system, "The perfect match." They have to know every 12V alternator in the civilized world puts out 13.8 or more volts. So their recommended system results in at least 4.6 amps, contrary to their own specification!! To adhere to their spec we have to use a resistor which they don't mention anywhere visible. If they do it's three layers deep in some tech troubleshooting page.

OK, that rant is done. I'm feelin' a huge sermon coming on over Pam's shyster mechanic.
prior boats 1987 Westsail 32, 1970 Catalina 22
Had my hands in a few others

Last edited by ndutton; 09-24-2011 at 05:30 PM.