View Single Post
  #7   IP: 152.163.100.134
Old 10-24-2005, 05:05 PM

Trouble starting (Running on full choke)

Don Moyer,

1) When I start my early Model A4 with the choke fully closed, I get some puddling, but not enough to cause fuel to run out of the intake throat. (The engine still does not start when letting it turn over a half dozen revolutions two or three different times.)
2) Some fuel runs out of the float chamber when I remove the pipe plug from the bottom of the float chamber, but not as if the float chamber were full of fuel.

My thoughts have turned to an air leak in my fuel system, either at the connection between the output of the fuel pump and the input to the carburetor, or at the carburetor itself. ( I have checked for leaks up to the electric fuel pump, using a priming bullb in the fuel line prior to my Racor fuel filter, but have not detected any leaks in that part of the fuel system.)

A question on air leaks: How can you detect air leaks that include the fuel pump and the carburetor?

(I recently purchased a main jet assembly from MMI, and the accompanying instructions stated to avoid overtightening "...the 1/2-inch hex head of the needle assembly, or the sealing washer is likely to extrude out from under the hex head and cause a leak." Is this "leak" a fuel leak or an air leak, or both?)