View Single Post
  #9   IP: 70.160.80.146
Old 09-15-2009, 02:08 PM

No crank issue

Hi Kelly,

Wondering if you fully resolved the 'click sound instead of crank' issue, and if so what was the problem?

We still have the problem - intermittently, but enough that I cannot be confident of a start whenever needed.

We push the ignition button, and hear the dull click noise from the starter motor area, and nothing else. We push again and sometimes will get a crank, but more often than not another click noise. If the starter does engage it works just fine.

Usually after a 3 minute or so break, trying the ignition again will increase the probability of the starter motor doing what it is supposed to. We would get one or two functioning starts and then a third try and beyond will just get the single click noise. Until we let it be for a few minutes. Then we roll the dice again...

The battery is almost new and fully charged. All the wiring all seems good. The solenoid is new and the 35 yr old starter motor has just been refurbished.

My feeling is that it is the starter motor that is not working reliably. I think the new solenoid is working and pushing the starter motor gears into the flywheel and that is the click sound, but the starter motor is not running.

What do you guys think???

Thanks.