• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • joe_db
    Afourian MVP
    • May 2009

Pure gas does that too!

Use something like a soft drink bottle. That kind of plastic holds gas OK.
    Joe Della Barba
    Coquina
    C&C 35 MK I
    Maryland USA

Comment

• PWAusCal29
      • Jun 2016

Another alternative fuel option

I discovered many years ago the you could buy racing gas at some motorcycle and hot rod shops.
      This is pure leaded gasoline 120 octane! Bring your own gas can.
      Being an inland lake sailor, we use very little fuel, usually only for getting in and out of the marina. So that helps offset the $12/gal cost.
      Benefits: no messing with stabilizer, no potential separation in the tank, nearly unlimited shelf life.
      Those plus I bet my 1969 A4 was designed with leaded fuel in mind.

Sorry I did not see this topic a long time ago.

HTH

Comment

• Mo
        Afourian MVP
        • Jun 2007

Originally posted by PWAusCal29 View Post
        I discovered many years ago the you could buy racing gas at some motorcycle and hot rod shops.
        Being an inland lake sailor, we use very little fuel, usually only for getting in and out of the marina. So that helps offset the $12/gal cost.
        Benefits: no messing with stabilizer, no potential separation in the tank, nearly unlimited shelf life.

HTH
        Yeah, we got away from it until the Commies took over here in Canada....now everything is laced with ethanol. For a while we had high test non ethanol. The whole thing is a boondoggle....should be put to rest. They will wait for the economy to crash before real change back to common sense. Frigging disgrace what politicians can do...you guys had Trump, we have a drama teacher part time snow boarder as PM, a no body journalist who had to get her parent to buy her a house in her riding ..she's our Deputy PM....and they try to keep me caged...I digress.
        Mo

"Odyssey"
        1976 C&C 30 MKI

The pessimist complains about the wind.
        The optimist expects it to change.
        The realist adjusts the sails.
        ...Sir William Arthur Ward.

Comment

• joe_db
          Afourian MVP
          • May 2009

Originally posted by PWAusCal29 View Post

HTH

And to think I was getting annoyed paying $5 at the airport!
          Joe Della Barba
          Coquina
          C&C 35 MK I
          Maryland USA

Comment

• Lubrdink
            • Apr 2021

Planning to pump the ethanol out of my steel tank, remove it, replace with a smaller poly and use leaded only on my 70 A4.
            Lubrdink
            1970 Newport 27
            Original A4
            S/V Glenn E honoring SSGT Glenn English, Jr
            Posthumous Medal of Honor 9/7/70

Comment

• ronstory
              Afourian MVP
              • Feb 2016

I just did that for my boat. While I'll never have to worry about rust again and can now see the tank level by just looking, you will pick up a hint of gasoline smell if the boat has been bundled up for a day or more.

The less expensive poly tanks that are pseudo-transparent have some permissibility that can give you a bit of 'aroma'. They make tanks with barrier that eliminated the smell, but they are 2x-3x more expensive. However, the dimensions of the more expensive tanks didn't fit as well in our boat... plus, you can't see the fuel level.

Not a big deal, but it was unnerving the first time I opened the cabin after an absence with the new tank and smelled a bit of gas. Fuel was shut off, nothing in the bilge, but a bit of smell nevertheless.
              Last edited by ronstory; 06-15-2021, 02:12 PM. Reason: grammar
              Thanks,
              Ron
              Portland, OR

Comment

• Lubrdink
                • Apr 2021

Ron,
                I've never had trouble with my 50 y/o steel tank but I measured it and it's 25 gallons and we are lake sailors so don't need but about 5 gallons a year. That coupled with the rust and gunk possibility I thought it would be best to pull it out and replace it with a poly 10 gallon or so.
                Then it would be fresh and I would only use leaded fuel. Plus, as you said, I could see the level easily without pushing a stick through the top and seeing where it's at.
                I do appreciate the heads up on the smell. Not an issue but as you said, good to know up front.
                Lubrdink
                1970 Newport 27
                Original A4
                S/V Glenn E honoring SSGT Glenn English, Jr
                Posthumous Medal of Honor 9/7/70

Comment

• ronstory
                  Afourian MVP
                  • Feb 2016

Yes, my tank never failed either, but at 47 years old... it was, IMO, time.

EDIT: ... as for the aroma... at least it's not diesel. lol
                  Thanks,
                  Ron
                  Portland, OR

Comment

Working...
                  X