View Single Post
  #72   IP: 24.152.131.220
Old 09-29-2011, 08:51 AM
Afourian MVP

Thanked 2,206 Times in 1,423 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by smosher View Post
Neil, Good data, where did you mount the resistor ? and where is the coil mounted.
My coil is mounted in the standard location on the back of the block and I mounted the resistor on an angle bracket using the right (looking at the back of the engine) coil bracket bolt. I'll get pictures and voltage readings today.

I want to repeat that I see this resistor business as a remedy for inadequate coils in terms of internal resistance. Get the right coil and the resistor is not needed, simple as that.

Quote:
Do your results confirm your suspicions fully or were you thinking there would be more/less difference in the temperature measurements once the resistor was in the circuit?
Kelly,
I veered from my original theory and testing when I clumsily stumbled upon an obscure Pertronix advisory about the 4 amp system maximum. I had no expectations, just followed where the information lead me with the goal of lower coil temps in mind. Looks like we're there.

My original theory which I still may test at some point was whether or not a greater, more complete discharge of the coil would reduce the operating temperature. The tests would have been with increased plug gap, like 0.050" instead of 0.035". As stated earlier, that would require more energy to arc the gap. I was curious what effect it would have on coil temperature, if any. Think I'll save that exercise for a rainy day.

It's kind of funny that our tired old electrical wiring with poor or corroded connections everywhere and the resultant voltage drop is nirvana for our coils. Shawn cleaned up his wiring improving the voltage so much he poofed the coil that had run beautifully with the old funky wiring.
prior boats 1987 Westsail 32, 1970 Catalina 22
Had my hands in a few others

Last edited by ndutton; 11-06-2014 at 10:35 AM. Reason: Technical correction
The Following User Says Thank You to ndutton For This Useful Post:
holyhumor (09-18-2018)