View Single Post
  #10   IP: 206.125.176.3
Old 06-26-2009, 11:06 AM
Afourian MVP

Question

DVD, & JimG,

What is the diameter & pitch of your Martecs?

My stepfather has one on his Tartan 3000 and loves it...it is really a necessity for racing.

For my own boat, I won't be racing, and having used the Tartan for many years, I have learned the handling characteristics of the folding prop, so I don't worry about the backing up so much. Even though this is a cruising boat, I would like to improve sailing performance as much as I can, and would also like to improve the motoring performance (in forward) if possible.

I am currently stuck between the Indigo & Martec. I have read some reviews that the Indigo has only slightly more surface area (negligible increase in drag while sailing in theory) than my standard OEM two-blade, but dramatically improves motoring performance. However, if I go to something like a 12" x 6" Martec, which I am pretty sure is the recommendation for the Catalina 30, wouldn't the reduced pitch also improve the motoring performance similar to the Indigo over my OEM prop?

There is a 12" x 5" Martec on E-bay right now for $200!! I might snag that up if someone told me going to a 5" pitch was still OK. (In reality, the shaft diameter is not provided in the listing, so I'd have to do a little more research before purchase...)

edit - Hey delphis....Are there any more options that you can add in your poll? I am curious if anyone has the urethane CDI prop??
"Holiday" - '89 Alura 35 #109
"Twice Around" - '77 C-30, #511 with original A-4 & MMI manifold - SOLD! (no longer a two boat owner!!)
http://www.moyermarine.com/forums/signaturepics/sigpic3231_6.gif

Last edited by sastanley; 06-26-2009 at 11:27 AM. Reason: more babbling