View Single Post
  #6   IP: 65.92.127.230
Old 06-25-2009, 08:14 PM

Here is a post I made June 1.

Here is a quick update on the results of installing an Indigo 3 blade prop on my C&C 29 Mark I. The principal reason for doing so was to improve handling near the dock ... esp. backing up with all the associated prop. walk problems. I installed the Indigo last fall after haul out and have left the slip 7or 8 times so far this spring.

With the new prop I can reverse much more strongly (without cavitation) than with the original 2 blade OEM. The increased thrust gives me better control and steerage in reverse. The new prop also reduces prop walk, so I can reverse the boat quite forcefully in pretty much a straight line.

Once the boat in underway (in forward) vibration is noticeably reduced. The boat runs smoother and in a sense more forcefully. So that is an added plus I was not looking for but am glad to get.

The only downside is that I can back up with much more speed leaving the dock and that takes some getting used to. Instead of creeping out of the slip at very low speed to reduce prop walk I can almost shoot out of the slip. If I have the wheel turned too sharply to port or starboard, and do not react quickly to the speed, the boat can almost do a complete circle which is amusing to everyone watching but not great for my peace of mind.

All in I think the Indigo was a good investment for the price.

Dave
C&C 29 Mark I
Port Credit, ON