View Single Post
  #7   IP: 134.41.87.78
Old 04-20-2021, 04:29 PM
Afourian MVP

Sort of a lot going on there.

I'll chime in my 2 cents. Generally if the manual pump develops a small hole in the diaphragm you will have longer turn over starting periods...getting harder and harder to start as the old diaphragm fails more and more. Have you experienced that?

Secondly, you might note a different smell upon entering the boat. Almost the smell of oil but a hint of gas. If you smell something like that pull the dipstick and smell the oil. If you find you have a hint of gas smell, it would indicate a failed diaphragm.

Now let backtrack. You removed the pick up tube. Was there any sign of corrosion on the tube itself? If so I'd change that out. Please not that blowing back through the tube from the filter or even the top of the tank and hearing gurgling does not give the pick up tube a pass. It tells you it's clear at the base of the tube, but can't tell you if there is a pin hole.

Have you ensured all hoses are back on correctly, all clamps tight, all filter seals are sealed tight and that the old seal wasn't left on there if changing the racor or something like one.

Someone mentioned good spark...that's the first thing you would have needed to sort out so I figure you went there.

So basically, you need fuel pressure to the carb. Once you have gone through and checked everything. So take the carb apart and using the exact right size flat head screw driver remove the jets, clean them, soak everything with carb cleaner and blow compressed air though all the passages and jets. (we can go through more detail on that). Pay particular attention to the main jet.

Now for the kicker. Since the boat hasn't run since last year do a compression check...we need intake air, compression, spark and fuel. It might be a combination of things. We can play for days focused on one issue when it could be a combination of things.

All the best. We'll all be hanging around here to help.

"Odyssey"
1976 C&C 30 MKI

The pessimist complains about the wind.
The optimist expects it to change.
The realist adjusts the sails.
...Sir William Arthur Ward.