View Single Post
  #12   IP: 50.157.235.232
Old 05-03-2017, 01:05 PM

Red face Running engine on the hard

In the Spring and Fall I like to run my engine on the hard, and I found the procedure using a bucket of water to supply the engine rather a pain. I have raw water cooling, and the key is to provide water at VERY LITTLE pressure, or the risk is high that you will fill the cylinders with water (via the exhaust).
I first tried to figure out how to attach the supply to the water intake on the bottom of the boat, but couldn't find any type of fitting I could securely attach to the intake, since it is covered with a near-non-removable grate. So, I made up the hose shown in the attached sketch (I don't see the sketch on this message but presume it is there, as the upload box says it is complete). I attach the hose to the engine by removing the water supply hose from the thru-hull, and connecting it to the output of my hose assembly. I turn on the garden hose supply very little - until water dribbles out of the overflow hose. When the engine is running I increase the flow rate to maintain a dribble from the overflow. This setup has worked very well for me over the past few years.
Attached Images

When it's broke: "It's a sailboat. What do I need an engine for, anyway."
The Following User Says Thank You to warefuller For This Useful Post:
Dave Neptune (05-03-2017)