View Single Post
  #47   IP: 70.199.136.175
Old 03-02-2017, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHN COOKSON View Post
I've heard of this drill but have never tried it.

When hauled out turn the prop shaft so the two blades of the prop line up with the keel and rudder. Mark the shaft inside the boat. When sailing turn the engine in gear until the mark lines up and the prop is in line with the keel & rudder.

Has anyone ever tried this?
What were the results? Did it incerase boat speed?
Is the drill worth while or a waste of time and effort?

TRUE GRIT
Interesting discussion, I'm glad it was brought back to life.

John, I do line up the prop to the keel when racing, and sometimes even when just cruising. I can't say definitively how much it helps boat speed as there are other factors involved that vary race to race (bottom cleanliness, weight etc,), but I've got to believe it helps. Lining up the shaft is quick and easy to do with the Tartan 30 as the engine is up by the mast so shaft access is easy.

I'm interested in what folks are saying regarding directional control in reverse for various prop types. My tartan has absolutely zero direction control in reverse ... ever! I've lost count of the embarrassing bouncing back in forth in marinas I've done. I've always assumed this is because on the T30 the prop is way up forward (see pic below) while the rudder is way back. I'm not following how type of prop would help significantly with this.