View Single Post
  #16   IP: 24.60.96.20
Old 05-24-2013, 07:27 PM

Sabre 28 aft lazarettework

After much upside down work last year, I finally repaired the wood box structure and made a few improvements to better mount the steering stop. However, last fall my mooring chain swivel parted (6 months after inspection) and the ship 'backed up' onto some rocks, damaging the rudder and bending the rudder shaft. I straightened the shaft (skip the comments about why not to do that - did much research) and rebuilt the rudder over the winter. Took a major effort to drill out the stainless bolts that hold the cable 'sprocket' together - getting the sprocket out was hard enough. Last weekend I was able to get the steering mechanism all back in place (1 1/2 days upside down effort). For some previous repairs in the lazarette, my wife has been willing to climb in feet first, and can actually squat down in it, but was otherwise busy last weekend so I decided to do it myself - a mistake.
Now I am searching for the plastic handle on my engine shift knob. No luck searching Edson web site. Any suggestions?
Ware