Thread: Resurrected!
View Single Post
  #20   IP: 134.41.89.226
Old 01-31-2021, 10:50 PM
Afourian MVP

Hi Cory. What did the old impeller look like when you removed it. Wondering if it was all there or if parts were missing.

There are a couple of things you can check but this one might be a bit more complicated as you got the boat and might not be sure what was tried previously. Maybe someone before you destroyed an impeller in it and if that is the case there could be a blockage at an 90 degree turn elbow heading into the engine after the pump. Crud could also have built up or even rust flakes could be the culprit.

If it was my engine and I was in your position I'd do this...first.
1. Remove the hose that comes from the end of the exhaust manifold to the to hot exhaust. Turn engine over and see if you have water coming out there.
2. If there is no water there I'd get an air compressor down there, remove the pump and blow air back through the system from the end of the exhaust manifold. You would just put a rag around the tip of the air gun and hold a seal. Have a guy looking at the pump connection hose to see if anything comes out. Could be something in there from a previous owner who tried to fix it before you. Sometimes flakes of rust can block things off combined with crud, as well...I've blow back a few diesels just as I said and cleared them. Whatever is blocking might come out. There should be air just blowing out those lines where the pump was on there.

There is also the possibility of the water injection spigot on the hot exhaust is blocked solid. I have seen that a few times on engines. If you have water at the end of the manifold my next suspicion would be the spigot is completely blocked.

If I was to take a guess, blocked spigot. Another thing I've seen and I even have an old engine in my garage with one...a mixing elbow on the atomic 4. Those things are notorious for rusting closed on the water injection side.

I hope that helps...give it a shot.

"Odyssey"
1976 C&C 30 MKI

The pessimist complains about the wind.
The optimist expects it to change.
The realist adjusts the sails.
...Sir William Arthur Ward.