X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • rigspelt
    Afourian MVP
    • May 2008

As far as I know (amateur who rewired whole boat recently), there is no reason a person cannot rewire from instrument panel to engine with direct wires instead of a plug-in harness, if that's what you meant. Probably a good idea, if the wires are old.
    1974 C&C 27

Comment

• sastanley
      Afourian MVP
      • Sep 2008

rigs, good point.. There is also no reason why if you think you need to do so, you can't build a junction or plug to accommodate the re-wire.

I recently (this past winter) pulled my rig and replaced all of the wires. Based on the beautiful & functional work that Neil Dutton did, I chose to follow his path and add a junction box for all the wires where they come in the boat from the mast into the head. When I finish the project, I am sure it will be great, but right now I have random wires flowing out of the head, but I am working on it.

My point is, it isn't rocket science, but having a contingency plan with a junction area of some sort (maybe pulling the motor some day) may be a good idea.
      -Shawn
      "Holiday" - '89 Alura 35 #109
      "Twice Around" - '77 C-30, #511 with original A-4 & MMI manifold - SOLD! (no longer a two boat owner!!)
      sigpic

Comment

• rigspelt
        Afourian MVP
        • May 2008

Originally posted by sastanley View Post
        Based on the beautiful & functional work that Neil Dutton did, I chose to follow his path and add a junction box for all the wires where they come in the boat from the mast into the head.
        Shawn, can you point me to that thread? I can't find it. I just installed a cable clam that beautifully solved my problem with getting the mast wires through the deck, but now I have a junction wire mess hanging down in the cabin.

Awesome sail yesterday, started and ended with our restored orange-red A4.
        1974 C&C 27

Comment

• ndutton
          Afourian MVP
          • May 2009

Originally posted by rigspelt View Post
          Shawn, can you point me to that thread? I can't find it. I just installed a cable clam that beautifully solved my problem with getting the mast wires through the deck, but now I have a junction wire mess hanging down in the cabin.
          First I'd like to thank Shawn for the compliment, made my day.

Rigs,
          There's no thread to find because Shawn and I discussed it off list, not being A-4 related. Would be happy to do the same w/ you. I can't attach pics via PM's so please send me your email and I can describe.

fvigeant,
          If your electrical experience is of concern, Nigel Calder's book is the boat electrical bible. Here are a few basic practices you should consider:
          1. The fewer connections, splices and plugs, the better. Less to go wrong.
          2. Avoid wiring through the bilge.
          3. Pay attention to wire gauge, within reason bigger is better, more important with our DC systems.
          4. Don't lay wire on the hull, tie it up.
          5. Pay attention to potential chafe.
          6. Spend a little on tinned wire, it's worth it.
          Neil
          1977 Catalina 30
          San Pedro, California
          prior boats 1987 Westsail 32, 1970 Catalina 22
          Had my hands in a few others

Comment

• Al Schober
            Afourian MVP
            • Jul 2009

Back-up ignition switch.

Much too complicated. How about: Alligator clip - wire - Alligator clip. One end to battery +, other end to coil +. Length? Well, it's gotta reach..

Al

Comment

• Esgbradford
              • Mar 2011

Message revival alert

I realize this is an old thread, but it has such good information in it, I thought I'm reply to bump it TTT, and to say...

Thank You Don for posting this. Excellent stuff. I love your newsletters. This one be being printed and added to my copy of the Moyer A4 manual.
              Eric
              Aries
              Newport 27
              Portland, OR

Comment

Working...
              X