View Single Post
  #1   IP: 71.54.21.202
Old 03-10-2014, 11:25 AM

Cold Carburetor??

I have been fighting a problem with starting my engine. This has been an ongoing issue for months now. I have rebuilt the carb, the timing is perfect, changed all of the ignition parts (dist. cap, rotor & wires as I have elec. ignition), changed the filters, the choke appears to be working fine and is fully engaged when in the closed position. I sprayed some carb cleaner around the carb when running and I don't find any air leaks...

So yesterday I felt the carb after the engine was running for a while and the carb was cold to the touch and I think it was sweating condensation.

In "googling" this issue 2 things popped up:

1. The gaskets on the carb may need to be changed
2. One thread mentioned the manifold intake tubes could be clogged w/ carbon

But then I read that the venturi carb naturally runs cold as the gas is vaporzing so fast in the throat that the carb is cold to the touch normally. I don't recall if I have ever touch the carb just below the manifold intake before.

BUT...yesterday I adjusted the idle mix to be very rich and it started up. I am going to check it again later today to see if this was the "fix".

So anyone ever noticed that your carb is very cold to the touch and having some condensation or do you think this is indicative of a leaking gasket?