View Single Post
  #23   IP: 70.178.6.159
Old 03-14-2013, 09:55 AM

Standpipe Rebuild

Hi all,
Thought I would take a moment to update the group.

First off, I used a sawsall to cut the pipe coming off the exhaust manifold about one inch from the manifold flange.

Then I had to get the bolts out of the exhaust manifold. Kroil is excellent at creeping into tight threads and loosening rusted bolts. I squirted it liberally, then waited a day or two and squirted it again, and then bought a 6 point socket to fit the bolt head perfectly--and walla--both broke loose.

Then I went to a custom machine shop with the old rusty standpipe and the E-29 drawings from the Ericson site. They first refused my project--but after challenging them as to whether they didnt have the skill set to do the project--the guy puffed his chest out and said they could do such a project easily. Then I dropped the fact that I was restoring an old sailboat--and I would pay them well for the project, they agreed. A week and $220 later, I had a new standpipe.

Ive attached a couple of photos for those that might like to see what resides under all the fiberglass or asbestos insulation.

Next is the project of coupling the two pieces together via the pipe union and recovering the hot section with new fiberglass tape.

Most interesting is the place where the pipe rusted out--I would have thought it would be at the bottom of standpipe rather than the exhaust riser--as without a drain plug in the bottom--water always stands in the stand pipe. Perhaps its because this has always been a fresh water boat.

Regardless, I will keep you posted on mounting the beast--my weekend project.
Rogers, Arkansas

Last edited by gmilburn; 04-03-2013 at 09:06 PM.