View Single Post
  #19   IP: 138.162.0.41
Old 10-15-2007, 01:44 PM

Mechanical Fuel Pump Removal

I just removed the Mechanical Fuel Pump from my Atomic 4 this last weekend and replaced it with a blanking plate. Not knowing that it was supposed to be very hard, I approached it from the flywheel side. To put light on the subject, I positioned myself in front of the flywheel and shined a powerfull flashlight through the slot between the spark arestor and the valve cover. This illuminated the front bolt quite nicely. I then reached around the carb with a 3/8" drive equipped with a 3" extension and a 1/2" socket. First bolt off...no problem. I then removed the extension from the drive leaving the socket on the extention and probed for the rear bolt until I found it. Leaving the extended socket on the bolt, I reached back and clicked the drive onto the extension and backed the second bolt out. Again...no problem.

What i want to know, Don, is should I have left the push rod in place when I put the blanking plate on? I saw no reason to do so and removed it and put the blanking plate and new gasket (with sealer) on. Now, I'm thinking about the little hollow spot machined into the pushrod side of the plate and hoping that I haven't done something really stupid. a quick answer would be appreciated.

Where would I be without this site! Thanks.