View Single Post
  #19   IP: 206.125.176.5
Old 01-02-2013, 09:05 AM
Afourian MVP

Unhappy joe, that was my first thought

Joe, when I started to realize the magnitude of this problem, that is the first thing that went thru my head.."uh oh, time for a new block". The only thing that helps alleviate the pain (other than $$) is the fact the Moyer is manufacturing them, so there is no pressing search for an old block in good condition.

Ed, Thanks for the explanation on the other stuff too..I'll stop using the terms helicoil & repair bushing interchangeably.

Neil, A call to Ken is exactly what I plan to do. I am currently going thru a mental checklist to try and get the rest of my order together as well. Although I have enough spares to cover all gaskets needed for re-assembly, some of my supply will be depleted after this current exercise. I also plan to replace the throttle bracket which is starting to look a little suspect, and it had to be removed as well..Since I have the manifold off, I will replace all the studs, shift to studs on the valve cover and determine if I have any broken valve springs..which is another reason I was doing this dis-assembly project...I have a funny tinging sound at low RPM, which I thought might be a couple pieces of valve spring clacking together & it's been two years since I've had the valve cover off.

Can we assume that brass nuts will be strong enough to hold on the manifold? That is an interesting idea. I use them with stainless studs in the water jacket side plate, that they aren't holding on a 20+ lbs. hunk of metal hanging off the side of the block. My other thought was to use something like Noalox.

Ajax, yes...I'll cobble something together...maybe just tabbing a piece of PVC board or something in there. Now that I physically have that tank in there, I can also start getting the hoses & wires up out of the way more permanently. I had mostly just taped that stuff up out of the way since I wasn't quite sure how this project would go. The forward end of the tank will be up against the 1.5" thru-hull as well..I don't want the tank bashing into that either.
"Holiday" - '89 Alura 35 #109
"Twice Around" - '77 C-30, #511 with original A-4 & MMI manifold - SOLD! (no longer a two boat owner!!)
http://www.moyermarine.com/forums/signaturepics/sigpic3231_6.gif

Last edited by sastanley; 01-02-2013 at 09:12 AM.