View Single Post
  #3   IP: 96.248.13.91
Old 03-20-2012, 08:18 AM
Afourian MVP

Do you have a "direct" connection from shift lever to cable to lever on the engine? Or do you have a binnacle with shift lever to linkages to cable, etc.?

And, as Tom asks, did you use a sufficiently heavy cable?

The shifting "cable" on my boat (1968 Pearson) is nearly as thick around as my finger (and I've got largish hands). It's not so much a "cable" as a fat, flexible steel rod, it seems. I'd guesstimate it's about 1/2" diameter.

It does take some effort to engage the forward detent. You should be able to move the shift lever on the back of the engine by hand pressure, though - although to snap it into the forward detent will take a little extra effort.

Have you tried disconnecting the cable from the engine shifting lever and try to see how much effort is required simply to shift the cable by itself versus how much effort is required to shift the lever itself? You want to try to isolate where the excessive resistance is coming into play - if there is some extra linkage in the system, or if the curve or bend in the cable is too tight, that also will put extra strain on the cable and make it harder to shift.

Relentless pursuer of lost causes
The Following User Says Thank You to ILikeRust For This Useful Post:
TimBSmith (08-09-2022)