View Single Post
  #1   IP: 68.56.139.11
Old 02-09-2012, 11:14 PM
Afourian MVP

Black iron or Stainless or brass for exhaust??

I have read the threads about using black iron for the hot exhaust. I am redoing the hot exhaust section on my Tartan 34.

I replaced the hot section with black iron from home depot 10 years ago. Now it is time to do it again. It is funny, most of the pipe is very clean on the inside, i can see the seam. The outside is very rusty and it broke at a coupling.

It is not really a hard job, just have to do it. The engine is in the middle of the cabin. I priced out the fittings for the job. I also compared the prices of doing the system in black, brass, and stainless. I got the prices from plumbing supply.com.

Black = $97, brass = $262, stainless = $ 162

The cost for any metal is not that bad. I am wondering if anyone has an opinion about how stainless, type 304, works in the dry exhaust. I was wondering about the longevity of each metal.

I used a 4 inch nipple in the exhaust to connect the black iron to the copper standpipe. The standpipe is made of copper with some type of copper alloy fitting to connect to the dry exhaust. The brass was perfect outside and inside.

Also this exhaust pipe is enclosed in cabinetry so it needs to be heavily insulated. I used a lot of 1/8 X 3 inch fiberglass insulation to cover approximately 4 feet of dry exhaust. I used about 75 feet and it was still hot.