View Single Post
  #21   IP: 75.227.45.171
Old 12-09-2011, 09:08 PM

Talking POs, I love 'em

I've bought 5 PEARSON'S in the last 5 or 6 years. Four of which all came with hardship stories, my wife tells me I'm the purveyor of broken dreams. Three of the boats all had major refits started, then PO's goals or finances went on a hiatus and the boats became towaways for scrap prices. Kind of makes a difficult refit when most of everything has been removed and lost. Two Ariels and one Electra. My next Electra the owner died and her boyfriend was going to keep the boat as a momento, very nice, but he didn't know anything about boats, so when it slipped it's mooring and ended up on the coast of CT. I bought it on Ebay for $20.00, I don't think I needed a survey for this price! Got everything but the rigging which sold in another auction for $100.00. New DYER&DYER rig with a roller furling, Oh well. My Triton which is the prize also had it's one owner die and his family tried to sell it from 1987 till about 2009 for some crazy price, when it didn't sell they gave it to the marina for owed storage. I got it this past Summer and it's like a time capsule inside, everything is there and in very good shape, even the paint , solid decks, no leaks in the cabins, almost unbelievable. The A4 had the head taken off and since the ice box drains on top of the engine it's locked up, but I have a replacement.
My one saving grace is I met a boat scraper who is very generous to me and treats me very well. I generally get first dibs on anything, mainly cuz I don't try and cheat him on his prices, I pay what he asks. He has some kind of business dealings with ammunition makers and whacks the lead keels off every boat that comes in first thing. many a good boat has come under his saw!! sad but it provides a bunch of parts, he tried to get me to buy all his parts inventory but I don't really need 15 outboards and winches and hardware by the dock box load. But I did buy 25 sails one day!! 2 A4s, 6 Danforth anchors, a pickup load of dock fenders and life jackets and I need to go look at a Yanmar Hey, anybody need a folding prop off a Cal 27 for a A4 with the shaft, off a freshwater boat nice shape???