View Single Post
  #20   IP: 68.173.38.216
Old 12-09-2011, 08:59 PM
Afourian MVP

I could have been John Cookson's PO

When we got our Tartan 27' about 8 years ago I had very little practical knowledge about engines and less about owning a keel boat. I still have a 14' day sailor that I enjoyed in my 20's but that was child's play to maintain and repair compared to a keel boat.
The fellow we bought our T27 from (the PO) was a really good guy. He spent a full day with me on the boat and explained to me how the boat was set up, basic systems and we replaced some running rigging lines together. We also got several binders of papers and documentation, including some older Moyer Marine Newsletters. I even recorded on a tape recorder what I thought were his most useful insights for my co-owners to listen to.
We did not need to listen to those tapes very much. The boat has been my teacher and all you Afourians and the folks at Moyer have aided and abetted my education.
Our boat was not upgraded much from the stock model T27. In fact it is nearly in original condition. The one thing that I know the previous owners did take care of was the A4. It spent the 1970's and 80's on the Great Lakes and eventually came to the Long Island Sound (slight bonus for a raw water cooled engine) where we picked her up from a PO's son for $4K. The son had bought an Irwin 32' as his next boat and was anxious to unload the T27 to avoid paying two yard fees simultaneously.
Eight years later and at 43 our old early/late model hybrid A4 is still ticking nicely, thanks to you all.
Tartan 27 #328 owner born 1958
A4 and boat are from 1967