View Single Post
  #1   IP: 161.213.49.1
Old 12-08-2011, 02:44 PM
Afourian MVP, Professor Emeritus

The Previous Owner

Here's a PO story that will blow your socks off.

My boat is a 1980 model that was built in 1979. It was purchased by the first, original owner in late 1979. I bought the boat from him in 1982 and have owned it (and the late model A4)ever since, 29+ years.
Since I was paying cash I didn't need a survey. I took a friend along who knew a lot about A4s for the pre purchase inspection and sea trial. Before we left for the sea trial I asked the PO where the dip stick was so I could check the oil. The PO said he didn't know where the dip stick was! Almost dropped my load right there. How much maintenance did the brand new engine have while the PO owned the boat? My guess is none. Not even an oil change!

I asked the PO where the wrench was to loosen the fuel fill cap. He said he didn't have one. Right after I bought the boat I noticed the tank gauge was on empty so I headed for the fuel dock. Got almost to the fuel dock and the engine died. Was able to drift down wind and tie up at the fuel dock. Moment of panic in my new unfamiliar boat hoping all the time that I had just run out of gas. Gassed up and got the engine fired up. All was well. I think the PO had bought a sail away package that included a tank of fuel and had never, ever fueled up!

Anyway this leaves me with an advantage over most forum members. I know the entire M&R (maintenance & repair) history of the engine. Nobody but me has ever done any M&R or so much as touched the engine since the boat was launched - ever. Yes, I've fallen on my face a few times but that's another post..........

Let's go sailing.

TRUE GRIT