X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ndutton
    Afourian MVP
    • May 2009

Sounds pretty darn good to me, most importantly that they're the same.
    Neil
    1977 Catalina 30
    San Pedro, California
    prior boats 1987 Westsail 32, 1970 Catalina 22
    Had my hands in a few others

Comment

• Laker
      • Sep 2010

Capt Dutton ,

Off topic --- I would be very interested to have you share whatever you may know about the Columbia 34 being built with a trimmed down deck from a larger model. And , for that matter , your overall story from your Columbia yard days. Another thread , perhaps?

Laker
      1966 Columbia 34 SABINA

Comment

• hanleyclifford
        Afourian MVP
        • Mar 2010

According to the MM manual the specification by actual design is 95 psi but as Neil stated it is the uniformity that is impressive. If you replace the rings, that alone might bring it back to specification. Compression does not seem to be the issue for you - valves and guides should be your focus.

Comment

• lat 64
          Afourian MVP
          • Oct 2008

I'll bet you could even get better readings. Sometimes a proper valve adjustment can improve compression, especially in diesels where a valve with a little more time open can mean more air gets in to be compressed.
          All else being equal, a hot motor, with a good tune, at good cranking rpm, can give better readings than a cold one with a tired battery and loose valves.

I suppose you could consider pulling that motor up on deck and giving it a good full-blown tuneup and plopping in back in the boat without doing the "rebuild" thing. I'm sure you could even test run it in the cockpit. Kinda weird though. but that wouldn't stop me

Rus
          sigpic Whiskeyjack a '68 Columbia 36 rebuilt A-4 with 2:1

"Since when is napping doing nothing?"

Comment

Working...
          X