View Single Post
  #14   IP: 24.136.77.31
Old 10-07-2010, 10:20 AM
Afourian MVP, Professor Emeritus

Thanked 1,289 Times in 839 Posts
Talking To blank or get off the pot!

Laker, I am not one of the "sledgehammer" approach type however I do understand how important piece of mind can be. Like Russ said plan your redo well and keep things happy at home.
A bit of advise though and this came from a good friend who runs a racing team~~Buy it right and cry once!~~ie don't skimp if your are going to go through the beastie.
I do recomend the electronic ignition and I particularly like the Indigo (sorry Don) because it has an indicator light that signals when it is firing the coil, not a bad idea for diagnosing problems. They seem to have less problems than the Pertronics set up just from the info gathered on this site. I have seen problems with the Pertronics set ups on many other applications as well. Mine has been running for about 8 years now and no problems at all. I also like that there is a spring and weight kit for the advance system after removing the drag of the points.
I gave up on waiting for my lil' beastie to expire about 10 years ago and it's been clicking and ticking for me for the past 26 years. The noises don't really bother me as the valve train is very noisy and not to sensetive as they don't see many rpm's.

Good luck!
Dave Neptune