View Single Post
  #9   IP: 24.152.131.220
Old 10-05-2010, 09:12 AM
Afourian MVP

Thanked 2,206 Times in 1,423 Posts
The sledgehammer approach

Nice of Art to invite my opinion on the subject.

I used to build the Columbia 34's at the Costa Mesa factory so I'm familiar with your access issue. I should say also that I've never done a valve adjustment on an A4 (I'm blessed with a sweet running engine) so please evaluate my opinion accordingly.

I tend to be aggressive with repairs. When I had a stalling issue several years ago, I replaced the electric fuel pump, all the fuel hoses, the fuel filter and did a full carb rebuild. Yeah, I know, using a sledge hammer to kill an ant but I haven't had a single hiccup since. Suggest reading Shawn's epic Indigo thread about aggressive repairs and the comfort zone after they're done.

So if it were me, given the known history of your engine (water incursion and prolonged sitting), poor access, head been off five times already for the same problem and limited sailing season (meaning it'll be sitting some more), I'd yank it and make it a winter project. With it out I'd do a Helluva lot more than a valve adjustment, I'd take the opportunity to really go through her, clean her up, paint her up and dress her up.

In the end, I'd hope she'd be the sweetest running engine on Lake Michigan, trouble and worry free.

The disease I have and I suspect you share is that I could no longer trust the engine even if it's running well right now. You've been there before with the recurring valve issue. I just couldn't relax. Others can, I can't. Like I said, it's a disease.
prior boats 1987 Westsail 32, 1970 Catalina 22
Had my hands in a few others