View Single Post
  #9   IP: 24.190.86.12
Old 11-02-2004, 09:02 AM

happy ending

the pump, the carbuerator and new racor filter are all installed and the engine runs smoothly. i don't know if the stalling problem is solved because that could happen after an hour or more of smooth running.
after installation of the filter, and before removal of the mechanical fuel pump and carbuerator for the rebuild, there was a gas odor. yes, i did spill gas cleaning the bowl to the fuel pump and cutting the fuel line for the filter. but it seemed like there was some gas in the throat of the flame arrester. i haven't decided if it still exists after the rebuilds. i am wondering: i put the fuel filter a bit higher than the fuel intake to the fuel pump to allow access to the bottom of the filter for draining. is the only safeguard keeping fuel from filling the float chamber, and hence overflowing into the air intake, the quality of the needle valve seat?
i could install a longer fuel line with a dip below the level of the fuel intake to discourage gravity flow from the filter when the engine isn't running. the fuel tank pick up is on the top of the tank and is above or level with the fuel pump intake.