• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • joe_db
    Afourian MVP
    • May 2009

Originally posted by Oaktown27 View Post
    I am building a new hot section. I have seen both Galvanized used and black pile. Was leaning toward black pipe, but getting the sections are/will be a chore.

Is Black Pipe the way to go?

Also, did not have an anti-siphon, so also have a Marlon on its was as well.

Thanks
    Pete
    Galvanized pipe gives off nasty fumes for a time that can actually make you sick. Use the black pipe.
    * it is actually called zinc fever https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metal_fume_fever
    Joe Della Barba
    Coquina
    C&C 35 MK I
    Maryland USA

Comment

• Oaktown27
      • Dec 2022

Finished building the hot exhaust riser. Thanks to the local Grainger as it seems black pipe is not a stocked item any more at the local plumbing shop.

Pulled the carburetor, and plan to clean the jets as suggested. I wasn't planning on rebuilding the carb with new jets and only going to clean it up. Hate to spend 100 bucks on the kit if I don't need to. Any thoughts on this?

Still need to drain the fuel pump sediment bowl and check the screen.

Also, I don't have a scavenge tube installed. Looks like the hole in the manifold is plugged. I assume I should reinstall one?

Feels like I am almost there, and do say the A4 is looking (and starting) much better than it was.

Thanks

Comment

• Dave Neptune
        Afourian MVP, Professor Emeritus
        • Jan 2007

Yes the scavenge tube is important as a safety factor and adding air for idle purposes. It is just plain ole 1/8 copper tubing with a 1/8"NPT adaptor for installation.

Dave Neptune

Comment

• sastanley
          Afourian MVP
          • Sep 2008

Oaktown Pete, welcome! Great job methodically attacking one issue at a time. We'll help you get her running great again!!
          Sometimes we preach around here that when you tackle too many issues at one time, you can't always figure out what was actually causing the problem in the first place, but you're doing it the right way IMO.
          -Shawn
          "Holiday" - '89 Alura 35 #109
          "Twice Around" - '77 C-30, #511 with original A-4 & MMI manifold - SOLD! (no longer a two boat owner!!)
          sigpic

Comment

• Oaktown27
            • Dec 2022

Happy Ending

Happy to report that after pulling the carb and cleaning the jets, cleaning the pump bowl and adding the scavenge tube, power has been restored!

Thanks to all for the support and suggestions. Have to say, was a bit intimated when I started on this, but know have built up familiarity and confidence with the A4.

Only thing left is to adjust the reverse, which seems fairly straight forward.

Couldn't have done it with out the Afourians....

Comment

• Peter
              Afourian MVP
              • Jul 2016

Great news you have it running nicely again.

Food for thought - why was the carburetor gunked* up?

Perhaps there are issues upstream that, until resolved, will continue to gunk things up?

Peter

PS - I think the technical term is actually "KRUD" per Dave Neptune

Comment

• sastanley
                Afourian MVP
                • Sep 2008

Originally posted by Peter View Post

PS - I think the technical term is actually "KRUD" per Dave Neptune
                Ha ha ha ha ha ha..
                -Shawn
                "Twice Around" - '77 C-30, #511 with original A-4 & MMI manifold - SOLD! (no longer a two boat owner!!)
                sigpic

Comment

• Oaktown27
                  • Dec 2022

Yup, Krud it was. Probably going to slip a fuel filter in the line. The mechanical fuel pump cup was gross, and I probably should buy a replacement. Since it is a copper line from the pump to carb, was thinking of putting it in front of the pump. Something to put on the list.

Bright work has now come to the top of the list as well as reverse adjustment.

Thanks again guys.

Comment

• ndutton
                    Afourian MVP
                    • May 2009

There's no downside to filtration but under the circumstances you describe you'll catch the krud before it reaches the carb while doing nothing to address the source of the krud. Make the filter easy to change and carry spares because I suspect you'll be replacing it often.
                    Neil
                    1977 Catalina 30
                    San Pedro, California
                    prior boats 1987 Westsail 32, 1970 Catalina 22
                    Had my hands in a few others

Comment

• joe_db
                      Afourian MVP
                      • May 2009

Originally posted by ndutton View Post
                      There's no downside to filtration but under the circumstances you describe you'll catch the krud before it reaches the carb while doing nothing to address the source of the krud. Make the filter easy to change and carry spares because I suspect you'll be replacing it often.
                      BTDT - I ended up taking the fuel tank home and found it full of rubber bits from a failing fill hose besides for random stuff from many years of use.
                      It got a thorough cleaning before going back on the boat and the fuel fill hose was replaced too.
                      Joe Della Barba
                      Coquina
                      C&C 35 MK I
                      Maryland USA

Comment

• sastanley
                        Afourian MVP
                        • Sep 2008

Oaktown...also, several of us have removed the hard copper line and gone to soft..that allows you to put polishing filters almost anywhere you want. I have one in between the mech pump and the carb, along with a fuel pressure gauge so I can be sure the pump is supplying fuel. Sorry, I don't have a good pic of that available.
                        -Shawn
                        sigpic

Comment

• GregH
                          Afourian MVP
                          • Jun 2015

Hope this linking works.. pic of the hose, gauge and filter

Greg
                          1975 Alberg 30
                          sigpic

Comment

• sastanley
                            Afourian MVP
                            • Sep 2008

Thatch mod!

FWC'd Thatch'd motor with no bypass! (and you can just see the sideways chrome fuel pressure gauge near the carb, so it is sorta on topic!)

This picture is amazingly 7 or 8 years old. I have since bumped up to the next size HX, and re-installed the t-stat. When this pic was taken (no t-stat under the housing), that little HX could barely keep up and I was running 180-190°F all the time. If anything went wrong I had no margin.

I found a larger similar style SenDure HX at the salvage place in Stevensville, MD a few years ago. It is the same height, larger diameter, and probably double the cooling capacity, The reinstalled t-stat happily cycles all day long @155-165°F.
                            Attached Files
                            Last edited by sastanley; 03-01-2023, 07:58 PM.
                            -Shawn
                            sigpic

Comment

• mhinnc
                              • Oct 2021

T-Stat Gasket

I'm about to install a new thermostat and gasket. There wasn't a gasket in place when the old one was removed (liquid gasket material was used.) Is the gasket installed above or beneath the thermostat? Thanks.

Comment

• ndutton
                                Afourian MVP
                                • May 2009

Beneath. There's a recess in the upper thermostat housing for the thermostat flange to locate it properly.
                                Neil
                                1977 Catalina 30
                                San Pedro, California
                                prior boats 1987 Westsail 32, 1970 Catalina 22
                                Had my hands in a few others

Comment

Working...
                                X