View Single Post
  #7   IP: 73.83.157.183
Old 05-12-2019, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Neptune View Post
Check the above and note that the compression figures could be a simple valve adjustment or just sticky valves. This is especially so if it has set for a long time.

I have often seen low compression numbers go away after the engine is started and ran for a bit. This will often shake the valves and rings loose.

My ole A-4 had far worse numbers and it ran for 34 more years for me and it is running now for the new owner, keep the faith.

I'd try a bit of "spray" oil into the cylinders and let them soak for a day or two and give the engine a spin on the starter once in a while. Then try starting and it may take some "motor crack" (starting fluid). Also add some MMO or my favorite some 2-stroke oil to the gas at about 100:1 for some oil to get delivered to the valve stems. I have seen and experienced this working far more often than not.

Can it be confirmed that the compression check was done with the throttle and choke wide open?

Dave Neptune
I'm not in touch with the mechanic who completed the original inspection. So I'm not sure what procedures they followed for the compression test.

But I do know that they were unable to start the engine at all. It would turn over, but that was it.

Great tips on the valves! I'll remove the valve cover and take some photos... Looks like a few things need to come off first... carb.. and fuel pump.