Thread: NAPA coil
View Single Post
  #46   IP: 74.104.130.243
Old 05-04-2013, 10:20 PM

Thanks, folks, for all the assistance. The blame is all on me, as you shall see. Read on . . .

I got the NAPA coil and installed it. 3.4 ohms across the terminals. I didn't bother to install the resistor, although I have it and may install it another time. I got plenty of spark out of the coil but seemed to have none at the plugs. I gave up last weekend and while toiling in the salt mines during the week I had a Sherlock Holmes moment: "The problem, as we have stated it, is not possible; therefore, we have stated it, in some respect, wrong." Or words to that effect.

I got a neat little gizmo at the local auto parts store that allows you to see inside it the spark coming out of the distributor to the spark plugs. Voila! Spark all along. A little spray of starting fluid and she started just fine . . . until the stuff was all burned off. Then nothing. Did it all again with the same results.

I took apart the fuel lines and am embarrassed to say that the gasoline inside the hoses resembled soy sauce more than gasoline. Out came the fuel lines and the polishing filter, all to be replaced, and off came the carburetor for a good cleaning. I may go all the way, pump out the gas tank, and fill it with fresh.

I've never messed with this stuff before because I've never had a problem with the fuel system, but I guess I threw snake eyes this time. So forget about the oddity of spark out of the coil but not out of the distributor, and chalk it all up to a guy who didn't recognize the obvious and instead pursued a totally impossible theory.

Mark S