Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mark S
    • Sep 2008

Thanks, folks, for all the assistance. The blame is all on me, as you shall see. Read on . . .

I got the NAPA coil and installed it. 3.4 ohms across the terminals. I didn't bother to install the resistor, although I have it and may install it another time. I got plenty of spark out of the coil but seemed to have none at the plugs. I gave up last weekend and while toiling in the salt mines during the week I had a Sherlock Holmes moment: "The problem, as we have stated it, is not possible; therefore, we have stated it, in some respect, wrong." Or words to that effect.

I got a neat little gizmo at the local auto parts store that allows you to see inside it the spark coming out of the distributor to the spark plugs. Voila! Spark all along. A little spray of starting fluid and she started just fine . . . until the stuff was all burned off. Then nothing. Did it all again with the same results.

I took apart the fuel lines and am embarrassed to say that the gasoline inside the hoses resembled soy sauce more than gasoline. Out came the fuel lines and the polishing filter, all to be replaced, and off came the carburetor for a good cleaning. I may go all the way, pump out the gas tank, and fill it with fresh.

I've never messed with this stuff before because I've never had a problem with the fuel system, but I guess I threw snake eyes this time. So forget about the oddity of spark out of the coil but not out of the distributor, and chalk it all up to a guy who didn't recognize the obvious and instead pursued a totally impossible theory.

Mark S

Comment

• Mo
      Afourian MVP
      • Jun 2007

Fuel problems...simple but uugghhh!

Hi Mark,

It happens. By all means suck everything out of that tank and give it a cleaning if you can. Put new separator and filter and buy a second set to have on the boat. Change out any hose that is old and not ethanol compatible and you should get some worry free service again. Sounds easy to write but take the time and do the best you can with it...it takes time and any portion of the " attention to detail" left to chance comes back to haunt us.
      Mo

"Odyssey"
      1976 C&C 30 MKI

The pessimist complains about the wind.
      The optimist expects it to change.
      The realist adjusts the sails.
      ...Sir William Arthur Ward.

Comment

• Orion C&C 33
        • Jun 2018

Originally posted by roadnsky View Post
        Neil-
        Before I put in my resistor (Echlin ICR 5500) I shot a temp of 200° plus after about a 30 minute run.
        Aimed right at the "O" on the FLAMETHROWER label.
        Hi Jerry..

Like I said on my other post just dropped by again to take the part number down... There is both a NAPA and Lordco here so I'm sure either of the two will have the resister that I need.

Cheers

Mel

Comment

• CamaroMan
          • Oct 2017

old thread but since google keeps finding this ill throw in my 2 cents worth -

check the voltage at the coil when the key is on and points closed - i tested this on a motor last year and got 3.3v!!!

DEF a problem in the ability to supply enough juice- so add this to your checklist when you are having issues-

good info here!

Comment

Working...
          X