View Single Post
  #10   IP: 32.211.28.40
Old 02-27-2015, 09:42 PM
Afourian MVP

Keep in mind that the water pumps DO wear out. Impellers are a regular maintenance item, seals when the pump needs it, and occasionally a new shaft. But even with these repair parts, the bronze housing wears out and the pump is junk, just with a few new parts.
When I went to FW cooling, my old pump didn't do the job. Leaking a little sea water into the bilge is no biggie. Leaking coolant was a big problem (like losing blood) and I ended up with a new Moyer ball bearing pump.
In a pinch, I've used a piece of paper bag as a gasket. Smear a little blue silicone on the housing, slap the paper on and punch holes for the screws with a pencil, then a bit more blue silicone and slap on the cover & snug it down. Cut off the paper hanging out and don't worry about the paper inside - the impeller will make it go away. Buy me a beer and I'll tell you the story of the gaskets and the Fiat transmission...
Hard to blow through the manifold? Pull off the elbows and see what you see. Clogged outlet elbows are common. Another clog that I've experienced is at the thermostat - clogged with flakes of rust from the block. An additional area of known clogging is at the top of the block where the water flows into the head - correction of that requires removing the head, a hammer and a small screwdriver.